Dzong (fortified religious and administrative centers) has characteristics such as sloping sides, markedly overhanging roofs, and bands of colored decoration.The University of Texas Board of Regents changed the name of the institution in 1919 first to the Department of Mines and Metallurgy and then to the College of Mines and Metallurgy of the University of Texas (TCM) in 1920.It was designated as a Comprehensive Doctoral/Research-Intensive University by the Carnegie Foundation the following year. Durham Sports Center opened and the Sam Donaldson Center for Communication Studies was established.The Academic Services and Biosciences buildings as well as the Engineering-Science complex in 2003.The entire 1966 UTEP team was inducted into the Hall of Fame in 2007.In 1999, UTEP launched its MBA online degree program.UTEP celebrated its 90th anniversary the next year with the Miners football team going to the Houston Bowl, and the men's basketball team made its 15th NCAA Tournament appearance.In 2005, UTEP moved to Conference USA from the Western Athletic Conference and was classified "RU/H" by the Carnegie Foundation.
In 1975 UTEP won both the NCAA Men's Outdoor and Indoor National Championships.
Texas Western/UTEP coach Don Haskins, who compiled a 719–353 record, suffering only five losing seasons, was inducted into the Basketball Hall of Fame in 1997 and the special events center was renamed the Don Haskins Center.
He retired from coaching in 1999, and died in 2008.
An expansion of Sun Bowl Stadium followed in 1982, increasing its capacity to 52,000.
The six-story University Library opened its doors to the public for the first time in 1984.