Arthur had to arrange for the reception of 180 new call-up men, despite the ending of hostilities.
However, it was inevitable that cutbacks would soon take place.
The RAF left Newmarket Heath in Summer 1945 but after 1946 light aircraft continued to deliver people to the races at this airstrip.
Major Pereira was now left in command of the Gibralter barracks, designated as depot of the Suffolk Regiment once again. In 1948 its training role would transfer to Colchester.
Back in Civvy Street the authorities had to cope with large numbers of men returning from the war, and houses and public utilities that had been neglected for six years.
The 1946 Housing Act greatly increased the subsidy available to local authorities, and they were allowed to borrow from the Public Works Loan Board, or PWLB, who could provide loans at below normal market rates.
This was a considerable incentive for local authorities to build more houses.