In 1901 he planned and executed the capture of Aguinaldo, commander of the Filipino army. Allen County Town square, three blocks east of US-169, Iola 37.92448,-95.399981 No historic markers currently are located in this county. HISTORIC FORT LEAVENWORTH Long before white men settled Kansas, traffic over the Santa Fe trail was so heavy that troops were detailed to protect it from the Indians. Henry Leavenworth, was for thirty years the chief base of operations on the Indian frontier. MORMON GROVE THE CITY THAT DISAPPEARED Near here, located in a grove of young hickory trees, was an important rallying point in 18 for members of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints (Mormon), then emigrating to the Rocky Mountains.He receivied a Congressional Medal of Honor and at 35 was made a brigadier general in the reqular army. The campground, really a temporary village covering about 150 acres, consisted of the grove, a large pasture fenced by native sod and a ditch, and a burial ground located on the elevated ridge between the grove and the farm.FIRST REA PROJECT IN KANSAS At this site the first power pole for the Brown-Atchison Electric Cooperative was dedicated in special ceremony on November 10, 1937.Brown-Atchison was the first rural electric project to energize in Kansas financed by loans from the Rural Electrification Administration (REA).When the agreements failed, the government responded with force.Thirteen months later Cheyenne Chief Black Kettle died in an attack by the Seventh Cavalry at Washita Creek, Oklahoma. US-160, Barber County Memorial Peace Park 1 mile east of Medicine Lodge 37.275614,-98.549201 70.FORT ZARAH To protect commerce on the Santa Fe Trail, the U. government established a line of forts from Fort Leavenworth to Fort Dodge.
MEDICINE LODGE PEACE TREATIES At Medicine Lodge Creek in 1867, as many as 15,000 Apaches, Kiowas, Comanches, Arapahos, and Cheyennes gathered with a seven-member peace commission escorted by U. soldiers to conduct one of the nation’s largest peace councils.They produced three treaties that reduced the size of each of their lands and allowed for the construction of railroads and eventual settlement..—Satanta, Kiowa chief Some chiefs signed the treaties without popular support; others misunderstood the agreements and later renounced them.The town was threatened by Confederate guerillas from Missouri until 1865. In 1869 the army returned , headquartering troops in Fort Scott to protect railroad construction in southeast Kansas. The restored fort is now a National Historic Site administered by the National Park Service.Bourbon County National Avenue across from Fort Scott National Historic Site 37.843376,-94.707198 This marker is located along the 111.