Accomodating kidney diseases in the school

THE RESPONSIBILITIES OF ED RECIPIENTS IN PRESCHOOL, ELEMENTARY, SECONDARY, AND ADULT EDUCATION For coverage under Section 504, an individual with handicaps must be "qualified" for service by the school or institution receiving ED funds.

For example, the ED Section 504 regulation defines a "qualified handicapped person" with respect to public preschool, elementary, secondary, or adult education services, as a person with a handicap who is: Under the Section 504 regulation, a recipient that operates a public elementary or secondary a education program has a number of responsibilities toward qualified handicapped persons in its jurisdiction.

An IEP, on the other hand, is intended for children with a specific set of diagnoses who will require special education services.

A 504 Plan may include just one or two accommodations (a peanut-free environment, for example), while an IEP is a legal document which includes objectives, goals, accommodations, and a description of an agreed-upon educational setting.

The actual format of the 504 will depend upon your school, or you can download or create your own form.

On the 504, you and the school will list specific accommodations or requirements that will make it possible for your child to succeed in a general education program.

Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973 protects the rights of persons with handicaps in programs and activities that receive Federal financial assistance.

Department of Education Office for Civil Rights Washington, D. 20202-1328 INTRODUCTION If you are a student with a hidden disability or would like to know more about how students with hidden disabilities are protected against discrimination by Federal law, this pamphlet is for you.

These hidden disabilities often cannot be readily known without the administration of appropriate diagnostic tests.Section 504 protects the rights not only of individuals with visible disabilities but also those with disabilities that may not be apparent. shall, solely by reason of her or his handicap, be excluded from the participation in, be denied the benefits of, or be subjected to discrimination under any program or activity receiving Federal financial assistance...." The U. Department of Education (ED) enforces Section 504 in programs and activities that receive financial assistance from ED.Section 504 provides that: "No otherwise qualified individual with handicaps in the United States . Recipients of this assistance include public school districts, institutions of higher education, and other state and local education agencies.Children who benefit from a 504 plan are children who are able to learn at a typical level with appropriate accommodations.Thus, a child with intellectual disabilities will almost certainly need an IEP while a child with asthma might require a 504.